22 February 2010

book review

I finished reading Successful Adoption last week.

I was quite wowed by how thorough the book is - seriously, it covered everything about adoption including various options...to paperwork...to tips on what/how to pack for travel. You name it.

It was very thorough in describing the adoption process (both domestic and international) from start to finish. As someone who has been (and is still) foraging through the process, it sure made things clear. Impressive. However, written by an American, it naturally outlined this process for a US adoption. This is SO much different than for Canada and I found myself starting to skim through those areas as most of that information didn't pertain to me. Though I do think that a Canadian version of the same book would be wonderful.

I loved reading the personal stories scattered throughout the book. They were varied - from non-legal adoption to domestic to international. Of course, reading these kinds of stories are so heart-warming. Other peoples perspectives and positive experiences, especially with adoptions are always smilers - a nice touch in the middle of mind-numbing adoption details.

My only other *issue* with the book if I may call it that, is that it mostly focussed on adoptions in the US (domestic), China, and Russia - very little on Africa. Another area that I couldn't relate to.

In all, it was well-written, easy to read/understand, FULL of information. This would be an excellent resource for a US citizen considering adoption.

No comments: